Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Random bits and pieces #1

Random bits and pieces #1

Here is a small collection of random tidbits of Korean I have picked up outside of normal learning methods. Most often I learn these from the Korean International students I work with. As awesome and wonderful as a class or a textbook is it cannot compair to speaking directly with someone fluent in thier native tongue and from the area.

NOTE: I have a foul mouth in any language I speak so if you are offended by such language I suggest you find another blog. Sorry to have wasted your time, but it might be advantagous to stick around and get a bit grittier veiw of Korean culture and language than you would normally find. :-)

생명 Vs. 인생

Now in both my dictionary and my KLEAR textbooks 생명 is listed as meaning life, and it does but in Korean there are two words for life each, with a different meaning and use.
생명 - To have breath, to be living
인생 - A person's life; lifetime.

In example I said to my friend:
씨발 내 생명냐! - Fuck my life!

He did not understand me so I had to explain what I had meant to say(laughs a pleanty I assure you) and he corrected me.

The correct way:
씨발 내 인생냐!

생명 is rarely used, almost exclusively in church as in 생명의 말씀 - Life saying. A sort of moral code to live one's life. (Is it bad I used a church word with profanity? Probably.)

성악 Vs. 가수

성악 was listed in both my dictionary and KLEAR textbook as either musician or singer and again they both are incorrect.

성악 - Opera singer
가수 - Singer

이고 Vs. 하고 Vs. 그리고

Okay all of these mean And or In addidtion but each has a different use.

이고 - To be used in joining two things you are.
EXP: 제가 미국 사람 이고 스무 살이에요. I am American and 21 years old.

하고 - To be used in joining two nouns.
EXP: 컵 하고 펜을 좋겠어요. A cup and pen would be good.

그리고 - Used to inform the listener that you have more to say on a subject.
EXP: 제가 물을 마실고 싶어요. 그리고 제가 밥을 먹고 싶어요. I want to drink water. And I want to eat a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment